Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Lila Bear's Review of "Joyland"

Joyland by Stephen King
 
Book Summary
Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever.
 
 
 
Lila Bear's Review
 
There was a time when a Stephen King book was my crack. The world would fade away while I was reading. To this day, some of my most beloved possessions are the Stephen King book sets my little brother bought me when we were teens. View the above babble as a disclaimer because I don’t think I like Stephen King anymore.
 
Joyland was boring. I admit I didn’t finish it. Years ago, I would rush through school work during class, so I could use the last few minutes to read his books. Now, I can’t find the interest to read them even while on the can. I’ll see the book looking back at me, asking me to pick it up and read a little more. Instead, I’ll daydream or even floss to avoid another snooze-worthy page of the book.
 
King’s books and I have been falling out of love for a while now. The last one I finished was Cell and I kinda wished I hadn’t. The ending sucked dirty balls. I hated Under the Dome with a passion and gave up at page 3 billion which made me less than a third into the book.
 
Yet, I keep trying his books, always hoping to find the magic of a Talisman or The Stand. Hell, I loved Christine and it was about a nerd and his evil car. I haven’t given up on King because like with Christine, seemingly lame ideas can make great stories. I didn’t expect to love The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, but he created magic.
 
It’s possible Joyland gets really good at some point. I can’t be sure because reviews for his books tend to be by fawning readers. It’s hard to say anything bad about someone who did you right so many times. It’s also hard to say goodbye, but I’m close.
 
I’m giving him once more chance with Doctor Sleep. Black House pissed me off beyond words, so I’m not sure how I feel about another “sequel” to his better books. I'll still give our love one more chance to see if we have something left to rekindle. Joyland makes me doubt a reunion though.

No comments:

Post a Comment